Grand Junction Veterans Health Care System
Medical Foster Home Program
The Grand Junction Veterans Health Care System is pleased to announce the development of a Medical Foster Home Program. Medical Foster Homes are available to all qualified veterans as an alternative to traditional long term care options.
Where Heroes Meet Angels - The Medical Foster Home program finds caregivers in the community who are willing to take a Veteran into their home and provide each veteran with room and board in a home environment, 24 hour supervision, and assistance with daily care. Caregivers receive financial compensation based on the care required for each veteran. Medical Foster Homes receive support and oversight from the Home Based Primary Care at the VA which is made up of a team of a Physician, Nurse Practitioner, Nurse, Occupational Therapist, Social Worker, Dietitian, Psychologist, and Recreational Therapist.
Medical Foster Homes:
- Furnished private or semi-private rooms
- Maximum of 2 veterans in a home
- Assistance with daily personal and medical care needs
- 24-hour supervision
- Medication Management
- Personal care (dressing, grooming, bathing, etc)
- Meals, laundry, and household cleanliness
- Must be located within 60 miles of the Grand Junction VHCS
Medical Foster Home Caregivers:
- Receive financial compensation from the veteran for provided services
- 21 years of age or older
- Financial Stability
- Home must be owned or rented by the caregiver
- Must pass a background check
- Be physically and mentally able to provide care in their own home
- Complete caregiver training twice a year
- Home must pass initial and annual inspection by the VA Inspection Team
If you are a veteran who is interested in becoming a resident of a Medical Foster Home or if you are interested in becoming a MFH Caregiver for our veterans, please contact the Medical Foster Home Program Coordinator at (970) 263-2854.