VA Western Colorado Health Care System
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Veteran Care
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VHA) is committed to providing quality care to all Veterans including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Veterans. Excellent care has no boundaries.
VA Western Colorado Health Care System seeks to promote the health, welfare, and dignity of LGBT Veterans and their families. We are committed to making sensitive and high quality health care accessible. Our policies and practices focus on ensuring a safe, welcoming, and affirmative environment of care for LGBT Veterans. Our employees receive training in clinically competent care that is responsive to the unique needs of LGBT Veterans.
Join our LGBT Veterans Coffee Hour
We meet monthly at One Source. This is not a psychotherapy group. It is a collaborative of LGBT Veterans and LGBT VA staff that come together to provide safe space, social support, organize educational LGBT health events for VA providers and advocate for LGBT-affirming health care policies. If you are interested in joining the group please contact Artur Akkerman LCSW, Lead LGBT Veteran Care Coordinator at email@example.com.
Stay in the Know
Join our EMAIL LISTSERVE to receive updates and news on all LGBT health information related to Veterans and VA Western Colorado Health Care System. To sign up just sent an email with a subject heading “SUBSCRIBE” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For LGBTQ Veterans health care trainings such as Safe Zone, Transgender 101, LGBTQ Cultural Competency trainings for VA providers please contact Artur Akkerman, LCSW at email@example.com.
For LGBT resources developed by VA Central Office please use the links below:
SharePoint Site for LGB Veteran Health:
SharePoint Site for Transgender Veteran Health:
LGBT Related Services:
At VA Western Colorado Health Care System we offer the following LGBT Services:
- PEP and PrEP
- HIV/STD/STI Screenings
- Hormone Treatments for Transgender Veterans
- Prosthetic Devices for Transgender Veterans such as Gaffs, Wigs, Chest Binders, etc…
- Pre and Post Gender Affirming Operative Care
- 10-Week Support Group designed to assist Veterans in development / strengthening of LGBT identity through psychoeducation and processing. Discussion topics are based upon relevant healthcare discrepancies for the LGBT community, with information provided on how to access services within the VHA system. The group process provides the opportunity to connect with peers, build a healthy support system, engage in self-exploration in a safe atmosphere, and learn about a holistic approach to personal healthcare.
- Monthly LGBTQ Veterans Coffee Hour.
- LGBT Veterans Care Coordinator Program to assist LGBTQ Veterans facing barriers to health care.
LGBT Veteran Care Coordinator (VCC) Program
As of March 2016, each VA facility has a local LGBT Veteran Care Coordinator (VCC) who is appointed by their facility leadership. The VCC is responsible for promoting best practices for serving LGBT Veterans and connecting LGBT Veterans to services.
To learn important information about the unique health risks of LGBT Veterans, download these relevant fact sheets. Here you can also find information about relevant services offered by VA.