VA Western Colorado Health Care System
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Veteran Care
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VHA) is committed to providing quality care to all Veterans inclusive of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning (LGBTQ+) Veterans. Excellent care has no boundaries.
LGBT refers to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender identities. The ‘Q’ refers to queer identities, as well as those who are questioning their sexual orientation and/or gender identity. The + sign is meant to be inclusive of sexual orientations and gender identities beyond LGBT, including pansexual, asexual, agender, gender non-conforming, gender diverse, nonbinary, gender neutral and other identities.
VA Western Colorado Health Care System seeks to promote the health, welfare, and dignity of LGBTQ+ Veterans and their families. We are committed to making sensitive and high-quality health care accessible. Our employees are prepared to provide personalized, patient-centered care in a safe, affirming, and welcoming environment.
Join our EMAIL LISTSERVE to receive updates and news on all LGBT health information related to Veterans and VA Western Colorado Health Care System. To sign up just sent an email with a subject heading “SUBSCRIBE” to Julie Lindsay at Julie.Lindsay@va.gov or Nathan Rudolph at Nathan.Rudolph@va.gov.
For LGBTQ Veterans’ healthcare trainings such as Safe Zone, Transgender 101, LGBTQ Cultural Competency trainings for VA Providers please contact Julie Lindsay at Julie.Lindsay@va.gov or Nathan Rudolph at Nathan.Rudolph@va.gov.
For LGBT resources developed by VA Central Office please use the links below:
SharePoint Site for LGB Veteran Health
SharePoint Site for Transgender Veteran Health
LGBT Related Services:
At VA Western Colorado Health Care System we offer the following LGBT Services:
- PEP and PrEP
- HIV/STD/STI Screenings
- Hormone Treatments for Transgender Veterans
- Prosthetic Devices for Transgender Veterans such as Gaffs, Wigs, Chest Binders, etc…
- Pre and Post Gender Affirming Operative Care
- 10-Week Support Group designed to assist Veterans in development / strengthening of LGBT identity through psychoeducation and processing. Discussion topics are based upon relevant healthcare discrepancies for the LGBT community, with information provided on how to access services within the VHA system. The group process provides the opportunity to connect with peers, build a healthy support system, engage in self-exploration in a safe atmosphere, and learn about a holistic approach to personal healthcare.
- Monthly LGBTQ Veterans Coffee Hour.
- LGBT Veterans Care Coordinator Program to assist LGBTQ Veterans facing barriers to health care.
LGBTQ+ Veteran Care Coordinator (VCC) Program
Every VA facility has a local LGBTQ+ Veteran Care Coordinator (VCC) who can connect you with services and help you navigate specialized resources.
To learn important information about the unique health risks of LGBTQ+ Veterans, download these relevant fact sheets. Here you can also find information about relevant services offered by VA.